School Board Information
Families will be asked to vote for MVM Board Membership. If you are interested in joining the MVM Board, talk to Ms. Bennett. Elections will take place in the spring of 2016.
Board email address:
Board President Email
Welcome School Board members for the 2015-2016 School Year:
- Cassie Beise - President
- Nikki Sackman - Secretary
- Michelle Nyhus - Treasurer
- Sindhuja S.Pillai-Grinolds - Fundraising
- Kelsey Bless - Social
- Elizabeth Pihlaja - Public Relations
- Bethany Schwab - Interim member
There is currently one opening for a School Board member. If you are interested in the open position, please email a brief biography to Board President Cassie Beise (email address linked above) by September 3. Elections will be held the week of September 7.
Your time and assistance is greatly appreciated!
Our 2014-2015 board. Thank you for serving!
Missouri Valley Montessori School - Corporate By-Laws
MISSOURI VALLEY MONTESSORI SCHOOL, INC.
ARTICLE 1 – NAME
- The name of this non-profit corporation shall be Missouri Valley Montessori School, Inc.
ARTICLE 2 - PURPOSE
- The purpose of this corporation shall be to establish and operate educational facilities for young children based on the principles established by Dr. Maria Montessori. This corporation shall be organized and operated exclusively for educational purposes.
ARTICLE 3 – OFFICES
- The principle place of business of the corporation shall be 200 West Turnpike Avenue, Bismarck, North Dakota, 58501, subject however, to change as Board of Directors designate.
ARTICLE 4 – MEMBERSHIP
- Qualifications and Voting Rights
- Active Members. Parents or guardians of a child shall become active members when they are notified of the admission of their child to the school under current tuition and admission policies. Membership shall terminate upon withdrawal of the child or at the end of the school year unless an application for re-enrollment has been filed with the Director prior to the end of the school year. In case of such application, the family’s membership terminates at the beginning of the next school year if their child is not readmitted. Membership may also be terminated by action of the Board of Directors as prescribed under Article 4.1c. Membership shall be non-transferable.
- Voting Rights. Active members shall have voting rights at the Annual Meeting or special meetings of the corporation, and there shall be one vote per family unit which must be exercised in person or by written proxy, as prescribed under Article 4.2g.
Involuntary Terminations. A membership may be terminated by the Board of Directors, but only after giving the member the right to be heard at a hearing held on written notice delivered or mailed to the member and the Board members at least five (5) days before the hearing, only by vote of two-thirds (2/3) of all members of the Board of Directors and only upon determining that continuation of the membership in question would be detrimental to the best interest of the corporation. Such termination shall be effective upon the mailing of a certified letter thereof to the member whose membership is so terminated.
- Annual Meetings. There shall be an Annual Meeting held during the month of May with the date to be set by the Board of Directors or the President. The Board members shall, at this meeting, determine the office appointments and transact such other business as shall properly come before them.
- Notice of Meeting. There shall be a written notice of the Annual meeting to each active member at least five (5) days prior to such meeting. The notice shall include the time and place of the meeting.
- Quorum. Twenty percent (20%) of the voting members shall constitute a quorum at the Annual Meeting of the membership, four (4) of which shall be members of the Board.
- Voting. All elections shall be decided by a majority of the votes of the active members except where otherwise required by statute, the Articles of Incorporation, or these By-Laws.
- Voting by mail. When determined to be advisable by the Board of Directors, the entire vote of any single issue may be taken by mailed ballots. In such case, notice shall be mailed or hand-delivered to the members describing the procedure at least ten (10) days prior to the time the returned ballot is to be received by the Secretary.
- Voting by e-mail. When determined to be advisable by the Board of Directors, the entire vote of any single issue may be taken by e-mail ballots. In such case, notice shall be mailed or hand-delivered to the members describing the procedure at least ten (10) days prior to the time the returned ballot is to be received electronically by the Secretary. The e-mail address on file with the Board’s Secretary at the time is the one which will be used for this process.
ARTICLE 5 – DIRECTORS/BOARD MEMBERS
- General Powers. The Board of Directors shall manage the property, administrative policy, and business of the corporation. The Board of Directors shall not take action within the realm of the instructional matter of the school except when a written complaint is received from a member or when deviation from Montessori philosophy is evident.
- Who Can Serve as a Board Member. Parents/guardians who are active members of the school (as prescribed in 4.1a) and non-active members which are parents/guardians who have had a child attend Missouri Valley Montessori School in the past three years and are still involved in the school’s activities. Any parents/guardians who may have a conflict of interest in seeking a term on the board must notify the school director and the current board will determine if the parent/guardian can run for a board position.
- Number, Manner of Selection and Term of Office. The number of Board Members shall be seven with no more than one member being non-active at the time of election. The Board Members shall be elected in April by the membership of the corporation via election ballot. Five members shall be elected each year: Two Board Members shall be elected for two year terms and three Board Members shall be elected for a one year term each year and introduced at the Annual Meeting. The Term shall begin at the May turnover meeting. Each Board Member shall complete the term to which he/she was elected and until his/her successor shall have been elected and qualified or until he/she shall resign or shall have been removed as provided by statute, the Articles of Incorporation, or these By-Laws.
- Vacancies. If a vacancy occurs among the Board Members by reason of resignation or other termination, such vacancy shall be filled by the Board until the next election.
- Removal. The Board members, by a two-thirds (2/3) vote of all voting Board members present at a special meeting, may remove one or more Board Members from office or the Board. The Board may declare a Board Member’s position vacant after three absences from regular Board meetings in the twelve months starting June 1.
- Compensation. Board Members will receive no compensation for their services to the corporation, unless otherwise approved by the Board of Directors.
- Regular Meetings. Monthly meetings of the Board of Directors shall be held at a set time and place designated by the Board Members.
- Special Meetings. Special meetings of the Board of Directors may be held at such time and place designated in the notice of the meeting. Special meetings may be called by the President, Vice President, or any two (2) Board Members. Unless notice shall be waived by all Board Members, notice of such special meeting shall be given by the Secretary who shall give at least two (2) days notice thereof to each Board Member by mail, telephone, email, or in person.
- Meeting by Petition. Special meetings of the Board members may be called for a specific purpose by a petition filed with the Secretary of the corporation containing the signatures of ten (10) active members or ten percent (10%) of the voting membership, whichever is greater. The Secretary shall thereupon notify the President and each member of the Board of the necessity for calling said meeting.