Missouri Valley Montessori School is seeking a Kindergarten/ Preschool Assistant Teacher. The Assistant Teacher is responsible for assisting in planning and leading classroom activities to address young children’s social, cognitive, and motor skills following the Montessori philosophy and teaching methods as directed by the Lead Teacher or Director.
The mission of Missouri Valley Montessori School is to provide a quality environment, based on the Montessori philosophy, prepare students for academic excellence, fulfill their creative potential and assist in their physical, emotional and social development.
Missouri Valley Montessori School is a private, non-profit school nestled in the northwest corner of Bismarck, ND and serves just over 100 pre-school and Kindergarten students. In addition to the school director, the school staff includes: four full-time classroom teachers, four full-time classroom assistants and two part-time school assistants. The school is overseen by a seven member board of directors.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
· Assist the Lead Teacher in planning, preparing and leading activities to promote young children’s social, cognitive, and motor skills following the Montessori philosophy and teaching methods
· Follow a daily classroom schedule (including: utilizing the gym to provide an organized game four out of five school days per week and providing outside time as weather permits)
· Maintains effective classroom management techniques to ensure a safe environment for all students and staff (including: effective discipline techniques and reporting procedures)
· Assist with the observation and evaluation of student performance, social development and behavior and report to parents as necessary or at the request of the Lead Teacher, Director or Parents/Guardians
· Assist in maintaining complete and accurate student records as required by laws, school policies and administrative regulations at the request of the Lead Teacher or Director (including, but not limited to: daily notes, attendance records, progress records and accident/incident reports)
· Maintain a positive and personable rapport with students, staff and parents
· Maintain a neat, well organized and attractive classroom that promotes learning
· Assist in directing and delegating activities and responsibilities of Classroom Volunteers
· Attends all pre-announced staff meetings, evening parent (including: additional meetings at the request of the Director or School Board)
· Participates in ongoing training (including, but not limited to: staff meetings, continuing education credits, CPR, First Aid, Montessori training)
· Attend and assist with pre-scheduled Parent-Teacher Conferences for all students in the fall (mandatory) and spring (if requested by the Lead Teacher or Director)
· Attend and assist with the planning and implementing scheduled school-sponsored social functions held occasionally at night or on weekends, with the maximum of one event per month
· Maintain inventory, working condition and proper use of all equipment and furnishings assigned to the classroom (including: gym and outdoor areas)
· Assess the needs of the classroom and prepares requests for any supplies, material or furnishings as needed for the classroom as requested by the Lead Teacher or Director
· Assist daily with classroom and school maintenance (including, but not limited to: cleaning up spills, dishes, vacuuming, dusting, and picking up the lobby)
· Pack/Unpack and prepare the entire learning environment for the first day of school and for summer storage before leaving at year end
· Participate in the admission process (including, but not limited to: talking to prospective families at the request of the Director)
· Supervise students in the Before and After School Program
· Plan, organize, and supervise the Summer Program
· Other duties as assigned by the Director or the School Board
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
· Willingness to obtain additional Montessori training as designated by the School Board
· Ability to communicate effectively with the Teacher, Director and School Board
· Desire and energy to work with preschool/kindergarten children
· Strong verbal and written communication skills required
· Provide work environment that encourages and supports trusting relationships with parents, children, and co-workers.
REQUIRED EDUCATION, CERTIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
· Early Childhood/Elementary education preferred (North Dakota Educator’s Professional License preferred)
· Child care experience preferred
· Must maintain CPR and First Aid training
· The position is full-time (40 hours a week)
· Benefits package provided.
· Successful applicants will be required to pass a background check.
Please send cover letter and resume/vitae to:
Missouri Valley Montessori School, 200 W Turnpike Ave, Bismarck, ND 58501
or email to: email@example.com.
Deadline for applications is 8/30/2013.
You can learn more about the position at www.bismarckmontesorri.com
The school is currently looking for substitute teachers for the 2013-14 school year. Please contact the school at (701)255-6779 or email firstname.lastname@example.org if interested.